Sunday, September 30, 2007

Its not always good

So I'll be honest.
Things aren't always good. But even when they are "bad" I still have an underlying knowingess that it is okay and I am taken care of. So please, if you worry, that's okay, but know I am truly fine and am loving the process.

So my homestay family is an atypical armenian family. When I first arrived I thought that I might just be looking into things too seriously. They seemed a bit cold. It felt very much like a hotel. They give breakfast, I go out for the day and sleep at night.

Fill you in... I hoped my time in Armenia would be spent with a family environment where we can cook and eat together, laugh, you know... the goods. Anyway, it all came down to a potato. So far the family has not offered me food once yet. So I have had to eat out somehow. (I am not interested, nor can afford to eat out everyday.) Saterday I woke up sick with a pretty bad soar throat and runny nose, told them that. They actually did not acknowledge that I spoke. Went to the pharmacy, came back, slept for a few hours, then had a mtg with a potentional organization that I might work for. Came back after dinner time, I was starving. I knew I was not welcome to their food, so I bought a smoked chicken and potatoes to fry up. Whats ironic is when I got there they just made potatoes and chicken for dinner. a little was left over.
I asked the wife if I can use her stove to fry potatoes, she said yes.

As I am frying, the mother, no joke, says to me in Russian, which is a lot harsher then in English, that I do not have a right to use their kitchen. I asked, what if I buy my own produce? She says it does not make a difference. Then I asked how can I eat then, she said, that is not of interest to her. I am there just to sleep and that is all. She told me if I want more then that I am not welcome.


So friends, I am not welcome. And am currentlylooking for another host family. The problem is the winters here are ridicilous and very few people have heating. It is going to be difficult to find a fam with heat.

Blah blah that s it.
and work, there more to say. Lets just say I am meeting wtih my boss toorrow hoping to have a discussion on different possibilities. I will tell more as it unravels.

Things helping me,
myself, Chatara's Labor of love CD, family, knowing that peace is possible.

Love you all, please keep reading and writing.

Viktoria

8 comments:

BOB said...

I must tell you most Armenians are not like the family you are staying with...here in America if you stayed with an Armenian family you would return to your country having gained much weight...I am very sorry for your experience in Armenia...

Robert

Laura Saffioti said...

Viktoria, I would definately leave. Stay with your family in the meatime while finding another host-family. That is really ridiculous. I love you.-Laura

Onnik Krikorian said...

Yes, I'd agree. It sounds like you were unfortunate with the family you ended up with. If the mother says you're not welcome, I'd really say it's time to move on. The situation will stress you out and really impact on your experience in Armenia if you don't. Anyway, wishing you luck.

---
http://www.oneworld.am
http://oneworld.blogsome.com

I EAT FOOD said...

You are in my thoughts. Take care.

Chatara & Viktoria said...

What the farfegnuggen is going on with that host family? Yowza, don't they know the meaning of the word "host"? Jimmeny cricket someone's gotta teach them some manners!

Well, this will be a great opportunity to gain even more empathy for those you'll be working with that are cold and hungry...

Is it possible to stay with your real family? I know there's limited space but couldn't you camp out on the floor or something? And if there's no heat, how about staying with your current host family and eating with your blood family?

If neither of those options sounds appealing, then do your best to visualize and feel gratitude for the perfect living scenario and then send it off with a kiss to the Universe.

Spirit will always provide!

I send much love your way,
Chatara

caitlinwiggins said...

Oh my god Vicky. I'm sorry I'm not there to give you a hug and some damn chicken. I don't think I could have stood there in your shoes with out crying... I hope you find a new, warm and kind host family. Remember to take time to look past the negatives and enjoy your time there still.

Miss ya. Caitlin Wiggins
a.k.a caitlin mack i can't remember if i told you what my new last name was yet :)

Christi - Camp Erin Colorado said...

Viktoria, So sorry it has taken me so long to reach out into blog-o-sphere-land. Thank you so much for your card- it is beautiful and perfect, and a smile surprise.

I wish I had some words of wisdom to launch through waves of connection through technology.

When I breathe into it, what comes up is just this profound trust in you. To listen to yourself, I have no question you will do, are doing. And then to act with heart, and with taking the next step as it presents itself. In the meantime, I can only imagine what transformation may be occuring, as you bear witness to and experience so many extremes in what it can mean to be human.

Like someone else posted, I wish I could bring you some chicken!!!!!

Sending love and support through the waves. Girl, you rock. Take good care in the ways that you are able. Christi

Anonymous said...

hay babe.

wow. and you had to say no to your family because why?

and yes, you can add my sarcastic tone onto that, but go ahead say it again without sarcasm, because unless it's a "legal" issue, why not feel comfort.

even lighthouses need a certain amount of protection to spread their glow.

i love you so much. i think you get what i'm saying.

let me know if you can still get e-mail because i feel sorry for others that have to view my ramblings, but i want to share them with you.

i'm glad to have this to stay in touch.

we walked the redwood trail you traveled with us the other day and i spent some time hugging them for you. flat guy butts and all.

so many hugs and kisses.

i love you.

and i'm pregnant. ;)

seriously.

-caitlin



Furnace