Sunday, March 2, 2008

4th of July

Yesterday, March 1st 2008 I visited the Armenian Geonicide Memorial for the first time. After looking at pictures of beheaded mem and women with their skin hanging from their bones, all I could think about what was happening that very same day in Yerevan, Armenia's capital.

Last night a state of emergecy was officially declared. I am writing this blog to tell you the truth. Something that is difficult to find right now. People even in different parts of town do not know what is going on. The the information I about to tell you is from what I saw and heard with my own ears and eyes. There won't be much, but it is better then nothing.

I live on a 9th floor of a sky scraper, overlooking the city. Last night, for the first time in my life I experienced what I have been hearing and seeig on TV in war-torn lands. All the images quickly became real.

It looked like the 4th of July. The night sky was lit with blasting rockets. The sound was continous and piercing. I heard sounds of continuous bombs, shootings, as in guns... firearms. People, women... one woman in perticular, I cant get her scream out of my mind. The image of marching soldiers....

The city was in flames.

Through my window I looked out and saw a war-torn land. IT showed itself in the sky, from the smoke that was coming from the scattered buildings aflame. To look outside and all you see is fire, people runing, yelling, screaming, blasts... I have no words...

For a moment, I went outside where my neighbors and I stood on the porch. We quickly hurried back in our apartments when one of the rockets nearly hit our building.

I live in the heart of the city. This is where the violence is occuring.

This is what I know.

I do not know how many people died. I do not know how many people are injured. I do not even want to guess because I don't want to give an innacurate number. But it is fact that people are dead and injured.Children and women are a part of this too.


Ok... sooooo
for 20 days we are under a state of emergency. This means is it forbidden for people to step outside of their house at night, if they will, they will be arrested.

The president has publicly announced that no forms of media are allowed to report anything without his permission. Thus what is being show is not informative of the truth at all. Unless they live in my neighborhood, no one can have an accuarate clue.

He also announced only that police were injured. On TV there is no mention of citizens being killed or injured. But my friend next to me looking up the news on the web is seeing numbers ranging 9 killed to 33 injured citizens. The hospitals are at first alert, being filled.

As I said, the numbers are skewed right now because the government is publicly not allowing information to be let out. I just know from what I heard and seen last night, I imagine many are now gone.

The corruption of the government is not being hidden right now.

Background info from my VERY limited understanding. On Feb. 19 Armenia had its presidential elections. I along with many other international observers spent the day witnessing the process. Some say they saw a lot, some say they saw non at all. Anyway, the point is that the current prime minister, Serge Sarksyan was "elected" and not the former president Levon Ter- Petrosyan. The next day there were around (this is minimum) 300,000 people who gathered in protest, wanting Levon for president. For the next 9 days there has been daily MASS gatherings and peaceful demonstrations. The only physical disturbance this has caused was the closing of streets and massive traffic jams. Although, police and military have surrounded buildings and stayed close watch of the protesters.

A tent city was created for the protesters in the Opera, one of the main city centers where protesters slept, danced, and heard leaders speak.

Yesterday morning around 7 AM, the police and military entered the opera to evacuate the mass. They used their shields, truncheons(the stick thing), electric shock thingies, and tear gas to evacuate everyone. Then around 3 near the French Embassy another mass gathered and were again cofronted by the military. I am not saying much about this event because I dont know much more.

Oh yeah, at the Opera Levon was taken and put under house arrest. His body gaurd was taken from him, he was told if he leaves his house, it will only be under his own risk. But a body gaurd, he is not allowed to have.

Then last night, is when the violence escalated as I mentioned above.
This morning, I stepped out, and my street that i live on.....the stores were all broken into. Burned cars flipped up side down. Destruction.

I'll provide a few pictures, but please know they are not even that great. The cops aren't allowing us to get close to anything.

By the way, I am not planning on leaving the house during the day. Its actually not me being paraoid, I just am in the heart of where the violence is.

Um if you want to know more... please look it up. For some better places google oneworld media, bbc, a1plus.am, and actually the new york times article is good.

I know it doesn't help much to say don't worry but, really. I am with one of the most overprotective families possible and am not leaving my house.

I'll try to go online again to keep in touch. Phones now are not reliable. I tried calling friends and family last night, it was very difficult.

Love to you all,
Viktoria

No comments:



Furnace